By Jack Glover
At a time when the world has gone mad in its desire for sin, and each person is doing his own thing, let us consider the above question. Pharaoh asked Moses “Who is the LORD, that I should obey his voice to let Israel go? (Ex. 5:2) This also appears to be the general attitude of many today. Look at some statements which exhibit this philosophy:
- There is no God.
- One church is as good as another.
- Each person has a right to his own belief.
- I live a good life.
- I don’t see any harm in ___________.
- All you have to do is believe.
- We’re all going to the same place.
Pharaoh learned the answer to his question the hard way. After numerous plagues, and the death of his firstborn, he realized who the Lord was and that he must obey him (Ex. 5:2-12:31). How are you answering the question today? Do you believe that God allows man to make the rules? What do the scriptures say?
- “For it is time for judgment to begin with the household of God; and if it begins with us first, what will be the outcome for those who do not obey the gospel of God? And if it is with difficulty that the righteous is saved, what will become of the godless man and the sinner?” (I Pet. 4:17-18)
- ” And to give relief to you who are afflicted and to us as well when the Lord Jesus will be revealed from heaven with His mighty angels in flaming fire, dealing out retribution to those who do not know God and to those who do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus. These will pay the penalty of eternal destruction, away from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of His power” (II Thess. 1:7-9).
- “Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father who is in heaven will enter” (Matt. 7:21).
- “We know that God does not hear sinners; but if anyone is God-fearing and does His will, He hears him” (John 9:31).
- “For he who does wrong will receive the consequences of the wrong which he has done, and [a]that without partiality” (Col. 3:25).
- “Beloved, do not imitate what is evil, but what is good. The one who does good is of God; the one who does evil has not seen God” (III John 11).
Who is God that you should obey him? “For thus says the Lord, who created the heavens (He is the God who formed the earth and made it, He established it and did not create it a waste place, but formed it to be inhabited), I am the Lord, and there is none else” (Is. 45:18).