By Jack Glover
It seems that about every day we are bombarded with headlines about homosexual marriages, homosexual rights, etc. In today’s news we see that the United Church of Christ has accepted same-sex marriage and encouraged its member congregations to do so.
This group is referred to in the article as a church of Christ (which it is not) and Christian (not even close). In the Bible, the “disciples were called Christians first at Antioch” (Acts 11:26), and no disciple of Christ ever taught or encouraged same-sex marriage or homosexuality. I challenge anyone to find one scripture that would teach such a doctrine.
Once again we emphasize what the Bible says about people of the same sex joining themselves together in marriage or sexually. Note the following from the scriptures:
- “Therefore God gave them over in the lusts of their hearts to impurity, so that their bodies would be dishonored among them. For they exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and worshiped and served the creature rather than the Creator, who is blessed forever. Amen. For this reason God gave them over to degrading passions; for their women exchanged the natural function for that which is unnatural, and in the same way also the men abandoned the natural function of the woman and burned in their desire toward one another, men with men committing indecent acts and receiving in their own persons the due penalty of their error” (Rom. 1:24-27).
- “He who created them from the beginning made them male and female” (Gen. 1:27; Matt. 19:4).
- “You shall not lie with a male as one lies with a female; it is an abomination” (Lev. 18:22).
- “If there is a man who lies with a male as those who lie with a woman, both of them have committed a detestable act; they shall surely be put to death. Their bloodguiltiness is upon them” (Lev. 20:13).
- “Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived; neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor homosexuals, nor thieves, nor the covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers, will inherit the kingdom of God. Such were some of you; but you were washed, but you were sanctified, but you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and in the Spirit of our God” (I Cor. 6:9-11).
Denominations who desire to justify homosexuality among those they call Christians will try every trick of translation to claim the scriptures do not mean what they say. Label them what they are — deceptions of men.
God says it this way: ” But for the cowardly and unbelieving and abominable and murderers and immoral persons and sorcerers and idolaters and all liars, their part will be in the lake that burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death” (Rev. 21:8). Resolutions by church boards do not change what God accepts.